Saturday we took a nice drive out to the country to look at this house. I couldn't believe the price, I figured it would need major, major renovations, and it did. But unfortunately we were to late, someone had bought it the week before. The neighborhood was on the hill that you see and it was a little run down, so I don't know what that would have done to the value after fixing it up. The house is gorgeous though, with both porches wrapping around the house.
We did buy this though,
a 18' x 4' pool. We had our sand delivered yesterday and DH is leveling it and hopefully it will be set-up by this weekend. I cannot wait. I love water and here in the hot humid south we need it.
This arrived the other day also
my wonderful needlecase from Dave. Not all my DPNs are in hereI need two more, I think, and I'll be all set. I would like to have my metal and wooden DPN in different cases.
They were made using the Magic cast-on on size 1 DPNs. The pattern is just a K2, P2 alternating with a knit round. The heels are different, on the left it is an afterthought heel, the heel on the right is a regular toe-up heel with gusset. The cuff is a K1, P1 ribbing and I used the Invisible Bind-off from the Twisted Sisters Sock Workbook. These are 72 stitches at 8 SPI for a 9" around foot. I used Knit Picks Palette in Bark.
I learned something interesting yesterday. Negative ease, this is something that needs to be figured in when making a pair of socks. Normally I just follow a pattern and cast-on whatever amount is called for on toe-down, for toe-up they have been for me or DH so we try them on as I knit and I never paid attention to how many stitches I had per inch. Well I'm making a pair of socks for a friend who lives out of state and I don't have her feet to try them on. As I was making them in a stockinette stitch I kept saying that they are really big, I had DH try them on and they were huge on him, yet the gauge and SPI were all correct. Then some kind soul posted in a Yahoo group I belong to about socks and fit and negative ease and there were a ton of responses, thank God! I grabbed a pair of socks I made for myself toe-up in stockinette and did the gauge and I had about a 15% decrease in the amount of stitches. On DH's last pair it didn't matter because it was K2, P2 ribbing and this causes the socks to form around the foot. So I went a ripping and started over, and I have the other sock yet to rip back on, as I am making these two at a time a'la Dave. I'm glad though I found out now about it rather then when both pair were finished.
Oh well I need to head off and finish my watering of the flowers. It is very dry here, no rain in a while.